Monday, March 9, 2009

Thank You Becky Davis

Becky Davis posted this story.

Christina and I first met when we were both 7 years old in Mozambique. Our families both moved there in 1994. We went to the same school for the next 5 years. During that time, we became best friends. The Newberg family lived about a block away from us. We had so many sleep-overs, play-dates...etc.

Christina always knew how to make someone laugh. We would laugh at silly parts in movies, funny lyrics in songs, and just goof around a lot. She loved hanging around my sister Sally as well. I would get jealous sometimes when she would invite Sally over to her house to cook or bake and they wouldn't share their "secret recipes" with me.

Since our Birthday's are only 5 days apart...hers Feb 7th and mine Feb 12th...we used to have combined Birthday parties in Mozambique. Sometimes we celebrated it at the pool down the street from our house, sometimes we celebrated it at her house or my house. I remember this one time, we were at my house with Ginny writing out our Birthday invitations to our classmates and Christina thought it would be a good idea to write "Bring two gifts" on the bottom of the invitations and Ginny told us to cross that off. It was pretty funny.

The neat thing is that I was able to stay in touch with Christina over the years. She was my best friend for 15 years. Our families moved from Mozambique back to the states the same year. The Newbergs ended up in Virginia and my family ended up in Maryland. Over the years, we somehow ended up living pretty close to each other...or if we were overseas again, then we managed to see each other over the summer...etc.

Every time I hear the song "Sunny Came Home" I will think of Christina. We used to go around the playground in Mozambique singing that song to our classmates and they thought we sounded so good singing together. We even wrote some of our own silly songs that I still remember the lyrics to.

I have so many great memories and stories to share about Christina, too many actually. I think living in Mozambique was the best time we ever had though, and if it wasn't for that place, I never would have met Christina. I miss her so much and I will always remember her and love her like a sister.

My prayers go out to Rich, Ginny, Alyssa, Thomas and the rest of her family.

Lots of love, Becky Davis

1 comment:

  1. I only knew her as a woman...as an adult. I miss her so much. I hate this world for making it so hard to be...normal.

    ReplyDelete